Dialog Science 2014
The third edition of Dialog Science took place between 25 September and 10 December 2014 in eleven different cities along the Upper Rhine, with a total of 32 events focusing on life sciences. This time the conference transpired under the patronage of the Rector of the University of Basel, Basel itself being an important leader in science and business. On this occasion researchers, experts, and scientists were able to discuss the potential of this promising field in the Upper Rhine region, specifically in regards to establishing a large-scale research infrastructure.
The opening event took place on 16 October in Basel under the theme “Bio-Innovation in the Upper Rhine: Regional, National, or Global?”. Scientists were encouraged to discuss the challenges and opportunities of this future-oriented sector in a tri-national and interdisciplinary framework.
The speakers included:
- Prof. Dr. phil. Antonio Loprieno, Rector of the University of Basel. Loprieno gave the welcoming speech,
- Dr. Jean-Marie Lehn, Nobel Laureate in Chemistry, from the University of Strasbourg. Lehn opened the event reflecting on the aspect of “Science and Society”.
The following speakers participated in the panel discussion:
- Prof. Dr. Dr. H.c. Hans-Jochen Schiewer, Rector of the University of Freiburg, President of EUCOR and Representative of the Science Pillar of the RMTMO,
- Dr. Susan Gasser, Director of the Friedrich Miescher Institute in Basel,
- Thomas Köhler, Head of the Upper Rhine INTERREG Program,
- Dr. Wilfried Weber, Head of the Cluster of Excellence “Biological Signaling Studies” (BIOSS) at the University of Freiburg,
- Didier Frommweiler, Director of Alsace BioValley